Sunday, September 03, 2006

In Loving memory of my Meme



Yvette M Sigouin
1923-2006
Winterport, Maine-Yvette M. (Joyal) Sigouin, 83, widow of Leopold F.R. Sigouin, passed away Monday, August 28, 2006 at a Bangor healthcare facility. She was born in Laconia, NH, June 5, 1923, the daughter of Albert and Antoinette (Spenard) Joyal. Yvette enjoyed being a homebody, taking care of her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. She loved to play bingo and was an avid scratch-ticket player. Those that knew her will remember how competitive she was, especially at playing cards. Yvette was predeceased by one daughter, Jacqueline, one grandson, Marcel, and her loving husband, Leo. She is survived by two daughters, Lucille (Sigouin) Jolander and her husband David, of Wimberley, TX; Jeannette (Sigouin) Parent and her husband Stuart of Winterport, ME; four sons, Leo and his wife Susan, of Hampden, ME; Philippe and his wife Theresa, of Somersworth, NH; Henry and his wife Judy, of Rochester, NH; John and his wife Wendy, of Newton, NH; 27 grandchildren and 46 great-grandchildren, sisters; Rhea Samson and Jacqueline Thompson; brothers, Julien and Philippe “Nel” Joyal; sisters-in-law, Cecile Thibeault, of CT., Beatrice Sigouin of VT., and brother-in-law, Gerard Sigouin of FL., nieces and nephews. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated 11 A.M., Saturday, September 2, 2006 at St. Gabriel Catholic Church, South Main Street, Winterport with the Rev. Robert Vaillancourt, pastor celebrant. Visiting hours will be from 9 A.M. until time of departure for church Saturday at the Hampden-Gilpatrick Funeral Home, 45 Western Avenue, Hampden, Maine. Interment will be in Oak Hill Cemetery, Winterport, Maine. Contributions in memory of Yvette may be made to: Winterport Volunteer Ambulance Service, P.O. Box 724, Winterport, Maine 04496. Messages of condolence or memories may be shared through www.hampdengilpatrick.com

As you can see...I haven't had to deal with death too much in my family. Meme, Pepe and that is it in my direct line. I also don't deal with death real well. Watching the movie last night " An Unfinished life" (highly recomend it ) It made me think alot , about how some of us don't deal with loss. It isn't something you learn , until it happens. So I wanted to give time to my Meme.



My Meme , that is what I always knew her as. That was the name for Grandma as I was growing up. From the time I was little till I was about 14 , my sister and I would spend at least 2 weeks with Meme and Pepe at thier trailer in NH. I remember some great adventures there , I remember riding my bike around the trailer park and I have scars on my knee to prove it. Oh that was a nasty fall.
I remember sitting for hours playing cards , mostly cribbage , spades and of course some penny poker . Also playing Carrom till all hours. I now have a carrom board that I am teaching Josh the game. It is one of my fondest memories with Meme, just playing games. I never realized till this week how much she had a part in my love for games. She never would just let me win either , her competitive spirit is also instilled in me.
I wasn't close to my Meme for the past 15 years of her life. I have called her since Josh was born and he did talk to her. I thought that was important. Not that he will remember it , but I will. I know Meme is at peace now , she is with Pepe and her daughter Jackie , that they lost at a very young age.
I was so happy my Mom , who couldn't attend the funeral was able to be there via cell phone. All her siblings live within driving distance to Maine , her being in TX it was a bit difficult. So my Mom called and the Priest took the phone to the pulpit and Mom heard the whole mass. That was so good.
So here is to Meme.....may you rest now , and if they have cards or a carrom board where you are.....practice up !

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:52 AM

    Rollie, I'm so sorry. You didn't mention this yesterday. Sounds like she lived a grand old life though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:11 AM

    Rollie: Sorry for you loss...she sounds like an amazing character!

    ReplyDelete